perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From mer...@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
Subject Re: .htaccess slowing things down
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:15:58 GMT
>>>>> "Stas" == Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

Stas> I didn't say that recent additions to .htaccess made the reponses
Stas> slower, I was talking in general. I guess a proper benchmark will be
Stas> better than thousands words.

This seems to be the knowledge of the wise, to not have *anything*
in an .htaccess file.

In fact, an upcoming column I'm writing will be showing how to have
".htaccess2" files in each directory, and on server startup, it
quickly walks the directories and interprets those with <Directory>
directives embedded, so they get parsed once.  Then you get nearly the
best of both worlds.  Downside is that "root" is now running them, not
the web User, so you have to trust those with write access to .htaccess2.