perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Mirrors
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:23:40 GMT
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 13:42 02.07.2002, Randy Kobes wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> > I'm planning to write two scripts
>> >
>> > 1) build-mirror:
>> >
>> > This script will be run on each mirror via a cronjob. Frequency should
>> > be definitly not more than weekly, better dayly.
>> >
>> > *) fetches the docs from cvs
>> > *) builds them with DocSet
>> > *) runs the search indexer (using SWISH)
>> >
>> > Sites running this script will need DocSet, cvs, SWISH-E
>> > installed. This should be a requirement for all "official" mirrors
>>
>> Is there a reason each mirror has to build the site from
>> cvs? Couldn't the master site be placed under rsync, for
>> example, and the mirrors just mirror that?
>

> Because we're only updating the HTML so often, the CVS version is the
> one that's up to date.

well actually that's not the reason. we don't expect mirrors to be more
up to date then the master site

> Furthermore, if the search has to be set up
> anyway, does it cost that much to use CVS too?

the problem is in the index files which may not be cross-platform. If
you ignore search then yes you could rsync.

but if you ignore search it's going to broken.

if we hardcode perl.apache.org/search then those who want local search
need to mangle templates.