perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: .htaccess slowing things down
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 14:40:56 GMT
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Stas> I didn't say that recent additions to .htaccess made the reponses
> Stas> slower, I was talking in general. I guess a proper benchmark will be
> Stas> better than thousands words.
>
> This seems to be the knowledge of the wise, to not have *anything*
> in an .htaccess file.
>
> In fact, an upcoming column I'm writing will be showing how to have
> ".htaccess2" files in each directory, and on server startup, it
> quickly walks the directories and interprets those with <Directory>
> directives embedded, so they get parsed once.  Then you get nearly the
> best of both worlds.  Downside is that "root" is now running them, not
> the web User, so you have to trust those with write access to .htaccess2.

That's a cool idea, though it'll require mod_perl built in. Which is not
the case with perl.apache.org, which runs on the main httpd server. I
think we will just ask root to add:

Include whatever/wherever/perl.apache.org.httpd.conf

, so we can modify it without bothering root. Of course that means that
changes won't propogate immediately, but I doubt we will have any
changes to .htaccess once we release the site.