perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Breadcrumb
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 10:06:02 GMT
Jonathan M. Hollin wrote:
>>We don't have to look like everyone else. The breadcrumb *is* complete,
>>when you look over 2 lines. The title is bigger and draws more attention.
>>Personally, I wouldn't like it any other way.
>

> Granted Per Einar.  That's not quite what I was suggesting.  You have to
> understand that I have a background in interface design and useability
> studies and this influences my perspective...  now if you have a breadcrumb
> trail (which is, thankfully, becoming standard fare on the web now) then
> yours should work the same as the de-facto standard.  If it doesn't, then
> users have to relearn when they visit your website and that is really BAD!

The truncating idea could work. Though we need to think about the
details: do we truncate the last element? and what if the previous
element was too long? not simple, eh? if you know how, please go all the
way down rather just saying that this is wrong. we do know that this is
"wrong" but we don't know "better".

another problem is that the title is going to be duplicated, is that OK
by your usability intuition, Jonathan?

I've another idea, what if instead of showing the title of the leaf
node, we just use '...' implying that there is more? consider:

Home / Documentation / mod_perl 1.0 User Guide / ...

for the URL:
http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/1.0/guide/getwet.html

so we do tell the user that there is more without saying it.