perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Moseley <mose...@hank.org>
Subject RE: Breadcrumb
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:09:57 GMT
At 02:17 PM 07/01/02 +0100, Jonathan M. Hollin wrote:
>> The truncating idea could work. Though we need to think about the
>> details: do we truncate the last element? and what if the previous
>> element was too long? not simple, eh? if you know how, please go all the
>> way down rather just saying that this is wrong. we do know that this is
>> "wrong" but we don't know "better".
>
>Okay.  Truncating could be performed by a number of methods:

I was not suggesting that they be any longer, but that they just show the
current page as a NON-link that is now shown as a link when you go one more
level deep.

I assume that we will always have to truncate the level of the bread crumb
at some nested level.

So the difference is that

  http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/1.0/guide/index.html

shows the same bread crumb as

  http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/1.0/guide/getwet.html

but the first doesn't have mod_perl 1.0 User Guide as a link.

Basically, I was thinking the bread crumb should end with at least the
current major section, sometimes as a link, sometimes not if deeper within
that section.

Adding "Getting Your Feet Wet" as a non-link on getwet.html would make it
complete, but not what I was thinking, and then that would be quite wide.

I agree we should be "standard", but I also think users of the mod_perl
site can figure out the bread crumb.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org