perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: Mirrors?
Date Sat, 29 Jun 2002 16:38:04 GMT
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Bill Moseley wrote:

> At 01:43 PM 06/29/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
[ ... ]
> When index is generated you specify the URL of the dst_html directory
> (which might be root, of course) and then that's stripped when indexing so
> the links are relative.  So, the index should work on mirrors since the
> search result links are relative to the search script.
>
> >Not sure about being platform independent, but it's not simple because
> >the index files aren't linked from anywhere and the search script itself
> >cannot be mirrored, since it's executed and not returned as a source.
> >Meaning that you will need to do the local build and if you do so, doing
> >the indexing localy shouldn't be a problem.
>
> I'm too tired to follow the above, but If someone is going to mirror, they
> are going to need swish, and if they have built swish then it's probably
> not much more work to build the index.  Stas created a nice README in
> src/search.

That's true ... I was just thinking that if the index files were
cross-platform, one didn't need to build the index on the mirrors
- just install the search scripts on the mirror, and have it use
the index that is being mirrored from the master. It's a bit
simpler to set up, and so might make for better mirroring. But
if, as you say, there may be questions of the index files not
being cross-platform, this may not be worth the trouble.

best regards,
randy