perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: [DocSet] Linking to docs::1.0::os::index doesn't work
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 16:36:07 GMT
At 18:17 16.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>>Ok, thanks a lot Stas, but that broke all links on Win32 :)
>
>well, not that, but extra fixing on top of the index.html fix :) the
>s|$base/|| was obviously not crossplatform (notice the trailing /), so I
>thought abs2rel is the only way to do that well. I guess I could use
>substr() on the first char, but who knows what separators are out there.
>
>>I tracked it down to a bug in File::Spec::Win32::abs2rel , which is fixed
>>by the attached patch. I'm not sure if I understood the abs2rel code well
>>enough to submit a patch to p5p though... I'm afraid of breaking other
>>things :(
>
>Doh! Too bad :( I don't like the idea of compensating for bugs in the
>code, especially when the bug fix is applied globally (without checking
>$^O eq 'MSWin32'). How about putting an abs2rel in Util.pm and do all the
>bug fixing there? Though we should use the fqdn call then, so later it
>won't be confused with File::Spec's abs2rel.

Yes, that would probably be better. My fix doesn't break other platforms
though (uhm, don't know about MacOS), because it only removed \w with a
colon after it, at the beginning of string. Anyway, I'll do this in Util.pm.

>But before we do that, which Perl version has thing bug? Is it in
>5.8.0-RC1? If so please submit the test case and the patch to p5p asap
>(use the perlbug script in the source distribution), since 5.8.0 will be
>released rsn.

I checked around a little and it seems like this has been fixed:
         http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg66542.html
and http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg67171.html
So 5.8.0 is fine. Unfortunately I don't have a compiler for Windows, and
before 5.8.0 is stable I figure ActiveState won't provide any either. And I
can't get the new File::Spec from CPAN :( Ah, well, I'll hold.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be