perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: creating a good mod_perl ad-banner
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:42:17 GMT
At 18:19 04.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>Maybe one like this:
>>- Tired of waiting ...?
>>- Love Perl and Apache?
>>- What you need is...
>>- [modperl]
>>- Use it *now*!
>
>None of these tells you what it is! So it's not different from Speed,
>Power, Whatever. Which may be intriguing, but unfortunately we aren't in
>1997, where I was creating banners saying just "Click Me!".

Yeah, I see... I suck at this :)

>We need to have a message, which makes it clear that this:
>
>first a webserver
>second running on Apache and Perl
>third, else

Agreed.

>Now you can clearly see the problem with the new logo: it gives no clue
>what it is. I'd think that people didn't think too broad when they've
>voted for it. So I suggest to cure that bug with putting the Apache
>feather and Camel inside the banner. Having these two solves most of the
>problem.

It's not about not thinking broad enough -- they voted for the best design,
which was a good point for itself. For those 2 in the banner, that's true,
it would be a plus.

>>About graphics: I thought maybe it would be cool to have a bullet going
>>through the logo and the caption "Faster than a speeding bullet", but
>>that's way out of my scale. I don't know any good graphic designers either.
>
>Anyway, that's a good idea, probably need to log it in TODO while we don't
>have any other better place.

Logged in TODO. Should we organize a contest? It would need pretty strict
rules though, to get something that represents mod_perl in a good way and
re-uses the current logo. I think it might be hard compared to having a
designer do the job though.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be