perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Breadcrumb
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:00:05 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> I know we have discussed this before, but I still keep looking at the
> breadcrumb expecting to see where I am, not just the parent page.  It's not
> a technical issue, but just my opinion.
>
> I guess why it bothers me is that it sits there on top of the page as if it
> was a title.
>
> So on page "mod_perl 1.0 User Guide" it says:
>
> 	Home /  Documentation /
>
> I'd kind of expect to see

Guide

> That's how google does it.  I know it's slighly different as it's a
> category list on google, but it still shows where you are, instead of just
> what's above.
>
> http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Perl/?tc=1
>
> If you then click on, say, Getwet then what would change is that all would
> be links. i.e it would change from

Guide
1.0 User Guide</a>

> My main point is that it looks somewhat like a title to show where you are,
> but it really just shows what's above.

well we've been through this, haven't we?

the 'where I'm?' is really two lines:

breadcrumb\n
------
title

so the two together show where you are.

The two problems with doing:

current_breadcrumb + title\n
------
title

1) there are many long titles which won't fit into one line, breaking a
bit the layout of the page, and wrapped titles are ugly.

2) the title is going to be duplicated. I don't think it's a good idea.

I don't think this is really a problem. Our design simply doesn't fit
into google's pants, so we have it the optimal way that fits our pants.