perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Mirrors?
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:26:12 GMT
Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was just thinking about mirroring the mod_perl docs here in Austria
> (in fact, I was thinking about asking our SysAdmin if we have some
> bandwith left ..), but:
>
> * do we want official or unofficial mirrors
>
> * if yes, we should add a place somewhere to link to them. I guess the
>   best place would be to add a new top-level docset called "Mirrors"
>   (somewhere near the end of the menu) and list all mirrors there (and
>   maybe add some info/links to info on how to set up a mirror)
>
> If we want mirrors, I'll add those items ...

We have discussed this issue before. My opinion is that we don't want
any official mirrors. The reason: Search the web for the mod_perl guide.
You will find dozens of "mirrors" which are very very outdated and
include erroneous information. Making official mirrors, meaning that you
have to monitor those mirrors and make sure that they get updated.

There are also technical problems with mirrors, e.g. the search won't
work, certain hidden objects aren't linked (e.g. 404.html), etc.

And I'm not aware of a bandwidth problem at apache.org. The only
drawback of not having the mirrors is a slower usage experience for
those behind slow links.

If we do maintain a list of mirrors and add a warning so users verify
that they read the latest copy (how?) they will still go back to the
master site. The guide used to have a release every so often, so it was
easy to update, the new model supports release often approach, so it
really has to be a mirror that monitors changes very often.

So I say that for the moment if you want to have a mirror, go for it,
but for now there is only one source of docs people should know about
and that's perl.apache.org. After we release the site, if there will be
people whom we can trust that they will keep their mirrors in sync we
may do something about it.