perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: "What is mod_perl" additions
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:38:24 GMT
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 17:49 10.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I just wanted us to have a complete set of examples for the "What is
>>> mod_perl" section, so I have written up some quick pages for the
>>> remaining items.
>>

>> Great!
>>
>>> Prewview at http://users.skynet.be/pereinar/mod-perl/start/ . Tell me
>>> what you think before I commit.
>>

>> Can you please post a diff? it's hard to see what has changed.
>

> I have added sections below "Configure Apache with Perl" (the more >>
> documents).

got it:

* The first example is the code but no config. Are those examples
intented to be just a teaser or fully functional? If the latter we need
to add a sample config section.

* The same here:
start/tips/app-servers.html
it's good for slides, but not enough padding for a document. The start
is great, but I believe huge snippets of code without explanation are
bad, unless you use it as a teaser and look-n-feel demo.

* Apache 2.0 support

I doubt this is a good title. Of course we support Apache 2.0. This is
not a feature, this is *the* thing. Remember that after awhile 2.0 will
be *the* version, so it'd be silly to advertise it as a feature.
moreover currently 2.0 support is alpha-beta yet.

i suggest to rename it. "Apache 2.0's new features support"

as for the "more", there are *many* new features. i'm working on this
doc, hopefully will release it soon, so I'm not sure whether using
something that's far from incomplete is good.

* Also probably a good idea to add "World Wide acceptance" or something
like that with links to /outstanding

* Another issue is that while many people come to mod_perl via the
registry family, this is not the feature that should come up first,

   "Easily create custom modules that become part of Apache"
   "Gain access to all request stages"

should probably come before registry.

>>> By the way: src/start/tips/logging.pod isn't used. Should we maybe
>>> delete it?
>>

>> May be we can use it, e.g. using Apache::STRLog or what was the name
>> of this module people are always looking for? I think it was in the
>> eagle book or something like that.
>

> ? We could add it to the favicon example.

probably not a good idea to make things look more complicated, remember
this is for first time users.

>> As I have suggested before I think we can easily re-use example from
>> the two books and reference to the place they were taken from. Why
>> reinventing the wheel.
>

> I mainly re-used the examples from the docs of the modules I used there...

that's cool too.