perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Klausner <d...@zsi.at>
Subject What to use for the prompt
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:30:50 GMT
Hi!

As we all want the site to go live ASAP, we should try to decide what to use
as a root/user prompt, so we can than change all the occurences to the new
form.

Please feel free to add ideas and +/- to each idea...

1) No prompt at all
  + copy and past
  - no difference between user/root
  - copy and past might not work with long lines
  - doesn't look like a prompt

2) only use '%' and something for root ('>' ?)
  + '%' is used in most of the docs
  - '#' looks like a comment and thus cannot be used
  - other sigils than '#' might be confusing

3) "ai" plus % or #
  + looks like a prompt
  - 'ai' might be confusing (use other short hostnames?)

4) 'user%' and 'root#' (or 'user%' and 'root%')
  + looks like a prompt
  - 'user' isn't to clear ('stas' might be too specific ...
     maybe 'you%' ?

5) '%' and 'root#'
  + looks like a prompt
  + '%' is short
  + 'root#' is very explicit and clear.

6) ??

I like 5) best.

I guess everything we'll choose will be confusing for some users (e.g.
windows user might expect 'C:\>' or something)

--
 D_OMM      +---->  http://domm.zsi.at <-----+
 O_xyderkes |       neu:  Arbeitsplatz       |