perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: Re-adding mod_perl.pod into api/
Date Sun, 19 May 2002 10:27:58 GMT
At 12:15 19.05.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>>Hi,
>>I know we removed mod_perl.pod from the faqs/ section. However, it's a
>>pretty good document which serves as a good introduction to mod_perl, is
>>linked to from many places, and is probably the most important document
>>included in the mod_perl distribution. So I was hoping to re-add it to
>>api/. Only that one however. I know, it reproduces some content, but,
>>well... it's mod_perl.pod! The *one* document that people may look to
>>with "perldoc mod_perl".
>
>-1 here,
>
>there is not a single bit of information in mod_perl.pod that is not in
>the guide. People do have it in the mod_perl source distribution, so
>"perldoc mod_perl" works.
>
>If later on we will checkout site docs into the mod_perl distro, we may
>consider creating an empty modperl.pod telling people to read other docs.
>
>The reason I'm against adding this and other docs, is duplication that
>they introduce.  We don't have enough resources to maintain a single docs
>base, we cannot afford the luxury of having duplicated data. Well, we have
>discussed that already.
>
>p.s. mod_perl.pod has very little to do with API.

Yeah, ok. The only thing I still don't like is having a separation between
distro documentation and what is available from our site. Even small things
such as the README or INSTALL documents: personnally I like being able to
go to the site and know that I can get to *all* the possible documentation,
and don't have to go to both the distro and the site to get to it (and I
like reading in my browser better than with perldoc).

Getting the docs into the mod_perl distro: I think we should begin
considering this now. It'd make everything a little easier.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be