perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: content layout freeze
Date Sun, 12 May 2002 16:18:50 GMT
At 17:59 12.05.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>>>so you simply suggest to move 1.0/win32 to 1.0/docs/guide/win32?
>>No, I'm saying to move 1.0/win32 to 1.0/os/win32, and leave the 1.0/os/
>>directory ready for other OSes.
>
>So if someone grabs the PDF of the guide, he doesn't get the OS specific
>parts. On the other hand if we put them all in the guide, then the PDF
>will be bloated with stuff not interesting to all. But still it's better
>to have more than less, don't you think? I know a bunch of people who
>simply print out the guide's PDF, bind it and give to their employees to read.
>
>I'm in favor of having OS specific details in their own documents. This
>will allow to have separate maintainers do their best without stepping on
>each other toes.
>
>But would like to hear other opinions whether to have these OS-specific
>chapters in the guide or in parallel to it?

Good point. Well, in that case, we could make them a group inside the
guide. The only problem I might see is this:

Part LXXXVIII:) OS-specific information

- Win32 compile
- Win32 install
- Win32 issues
- Win32 foo
- Cygwin installation
- MacOS X instructions

As the amount of Win32 information we have is quite large, that might be an
issue. However, we could put those into just "Windows" and make them
sub-sections of that document.

I'd be ok with this.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen