perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Re-adding mod_perl.pod into api/
Date Sun, 19 May 2002 10:36:57 GMT
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 12:15 19.05.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I know we removed mod_perl.pod from the faqs/ section. However, it's
>>> a pretty good document which serves as a good introduction to
>>> mod_perl, is linked to from many places, and is probably the most
>>> important document included in the mod_perl distribution. So I was
>>> hoping to re-add it to api/. Only that one however. I know, it
>>> reproduces some content, but, well... it's mod_perl.pod! The *one*
>>> document that people may look to with "perldoc mod_perl".
>>

>> -1 here,
>>
>> there is not a single bit of information in mod_perl.pod that is not
>> in the guide. People do have it in the mod_perl source distribution,
>> so "perldoc mod_perl" works.
>>
>> If later on we will checkout site docs into the mod_perl distro, we
>> may consider creating an empty modperl.pod telling people to read
>> other docs.
>>
>> The reason I'm against adding this and other docs, is duplication that
>> they introduce.  We don't have enough resources to maintain a single
>> docs base, we cannot afford the luxury of having duplicated data.
>> Well, we have discussed that already.
>>
>> p.s. mod_perl.pod has very little to do with API.
>

> Yeah, ok. The only thing I still don't like is having a separation
> between distro documentation and what is available from our site. Even
> small things such as the README or INSTALL documents: personnally I like
> being able to go to the site and know that I can get to *all* the
> possible documentation, and don't have to go to both the distro and the
> site to get to it (and I like reading in my browser better than with
> perldoc).

the online docs are the master docs.

> Getting the docs into the mod_perl distro: I think we should begin
> considering this now. It'd make everything a little easier.

let's release the site first (which will also mean that we freeze up the
layout and stop shuffling things around)  then consider bunding the docs
with the distribution.

we may consider distributing docs as a separate package as well. but
let's discuss this later.