perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: "People behind mod_perl"
Date Sun, 12 May 2002 16:09:24 GMT

Check this page: http://httpd.apache.org/contributors/

> I just wanted to check with you that the idea is ok. Here it goes:
>
> Each contributor resides in his own file (for example
> andreas-koenig.txt). In that file, there are headers:
> Name: ... (required)
> Email: ...
> Group: core | docs (can be extended)
> Image: URI to optional image

probably better to have the images on our server, otherwise you will
just waste your time updating broken images.

> And then the body, which should be valid HTML (except that paragraphs
> are separated by a newline and then I put <p> tags around it, a little
> like Pod. But apart from that, it's pretty much HTML).
>
> The headers and body are then parsed, and run through a template,
> generating the same file name but .html.

Are you sure you really want a file for each person? Why do you need the
body? I really like the conciseness of 'Contributions:' record at
http://httpd.apache.org/contributors/

I prefer to have a single file, it's a mess to add/delete files when
things change. I see it more like maillist/ and not as stories/
autogeneration.

> Contributors are separated into groups: core and docs at the moment, but
> more could be added. Then it's DocSet which creates the index.html page,
> with the different groups and the names as a TOC with links (I order the
> files in config.cfg so that they should come out ordered in the TOC too).

again this can be merged together, per above URL. Just specify what you
do: docs, dev, advocacy, ... this doesn't restrict you to the 2
categories. Make it free flow.

> That's pretty much it. Now it's the task of getting the info for each
> contributor which'll be hard... But that's ok, I have enough time.

;)

> One thing that bothers me is that like this, we can't have any names
> without info. Anyone have any solutions for that?

You mean the long list of contributors without any info about them? Just
make
it a separate doc, we have it already, I've created it today:
src/docs/credits.pod