perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: Moving on: link styles
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:52:28 GMT
At 15:44 24.04.2002, Bill Moseley wrote:
>At 05:29 PM 04/24/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> >I don't think that's was the question. I think what ill was trying to
> >ask if you can do:
> >
> >.mycolour1 { color: black; }
> >.mycolour2 { color: mycolour1 }
>
>Right, that was the question.

There isn't any solution for this in CSS. It's AFAIK, but I have been
reading the CSS2 spec lately, and there are only 3 ways to specify colors:
color: black;
color: #000000 (or alternatively: #000)
color: rgb(0, 0, 0);

>[OT]: I'm joking a bit here, but style sheets were suppose to separate
>presentation from code (html).  I always imagined that html *was* the
>presentation layer.  Isn't <li> a presentation issue?  The world could have
>avoided style sheets if all html was generated by TT. ;)

I really hope this is a joke :) No, <li> is a structural issue: it's an
item of a list, that's all you know. If you present it as an icon, a
bullet, or a dog bark, that's the issue of the style sheet and the UA. You
know, DSSSL before CSS was more programaticcaly targeted: but it was too
damn complicated to work.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be