perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: redoing the shortcuts feature
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:38:36 GMT
At 19:11 23.04.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>>At 16:33 23.04.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>>I was thinking that we need more shortcuts, and we need two groups: 1.x
>>>and 2.x. Which means that the shortcuts menu will be too big. I'm
>>>thinking to move the shortcuts into a dedicated document and link to it
>>>from the main menu. The drawback is that one will need to click twice to
>>>get to the wanted place (instead of once), though we will be able to
>>>provide more shortcuts and more nicerly organized.
>>
>>I think we need to keep it where it is. It's fast an efficient. On the
>>other hand, you don't need to have too many items.
>>Downloads
>
>Right, I forgot this one. And now you need two of these, or people will do
>the wrong things.

No, they can choose mod_perl 1 or 2 for themselves on the Downloads page.
If they can't do *that*, they need a *lot* of help, more than we can give
them. We can also add a paragraph explaining the difference between 1.x and
2.x on the Downloads page.

>>1.x Docs
>>2.x Docs
>>Mailing list archives
>>Is enough.
>
>Unfortunately it's not enough. Sending to Docs is not helping at all. You
>can just click on docs entry in the menu.
>
>And nobody wants to repeat again and again to users how to report
>problems. And it's different with 1.x and 2.x
>
>Download 1.x
>Download 2.x

 >> 1 Download should be enough (see above)

>mail archive

yes

>guide 1.x

Hmm, maybe, yes.

>reporting problems 1.x (aka SUPPORT)

ok

>install 2.x (getwet for 2.x)

I think that can be as a link from the Download page.

>reporting problems 2.x

This can be merged with 1.x report I think.

>>Moving them to a separate beats the point of having shortcuts.
>
>Well I'll say it again: These "shortcuts" aren't to make you click less,
>they are to get to the final target with minimal thinking and wondering.
>I've counted at least 7 items and there will be more, believe me. That's
>already not shortcuts since you have to scroll down to get to them. If you
>need to scroll-down you can click to get to the much better page.

The shortcuts are a powerful feature, and it would be good to have a
minimalistic list for "real shortcuts". Can't we just separate our ideas
into 2 sets: one for the menu 8with ery few items), and one shortcut page
like you're talking about?

>Moreover the IMHO shortcuts are mostly useful when you are at the root of
>the site, when go to perl.apache.org to read something and leave. Which
>means that they are redundant on all other pages, which means that they
>shouldn't be inlined in the menu. That's me thinking of course.

That's true, but that means they need to stay on the first page :)

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be