perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: Finalize header
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:25:45 GMT
At 07:10 23.04.2002, Bill Moseley wrote:

>Content offset down below the navigation (extra white space)
>    http://mardy.hank.org:5000/test5/docs/1.0/guide/advocacy.html

I prefer this one, I like the thin line. However, the line that's supposed
to fade out seems to be split up in all browsers I tried.

>Above without the thin line separating nav and title.  Cleaner looking.
>    http://mardy.hank.org:5000/test7/docs/1.0/guide/advocacy.html
>
>Same, but with the search box centered.
>    http://mardy.hank.org:5000/test8/docs/1.0/guide/advocacy.html
>
>(Stas and Jonathan both said they like the centered input elements in the
>above example.  I think my search box test page was misleading since it
>showed the search out of context.  The input elements looks a little odd
>centered when the text above is left justified.  But perhaps that's just me.)
>

>Stas asked about placing the navigation on the same line as the title:
>    http://mardy.hank.org:5000/test6/docs/1.0/guide/advocacy.html

I think I likfe this one pretty much too. The line is still broken though.

>You will notice the pdf|src links below the bar on the Advocacy page (well,
>they aren't links in that example).  In the past I've suggested placing the
>[SRC] link at the bottom of the page.  I felt that the reverse [SRC] button
>was too strong of an element for as little use as it will get, and too
>strong for the left side of title bar.  Same for [PDF], really.

I'm still +1 for keeping it as-is. Maybe placing it under the navigation,
but I like those button. Has anyone tried making the SRC button w/ grey
background, like someone talked about?

>I'm against placing them on the left side of the title bar because they get
>in the way of the content; the title should flow to the content.  They are
>not navigation, so they don't need to look just like the other navigation
>widgets.
>
>So to keep the weight across the title bar a bit more balanced I just used
>simple, small text for pdf|src.  Anyone that's advanced enough to desire to
>read in pdf format (or grab the source for that matter) will surely
>understand that those are links to pdf and the source.  But for the masses
>that won't use them, they are not overpowering or in the way.

-1. That looks very bad and doesn't stick with the current design.

>And placing the pdf|src below the bar ties them with the content, if you
>like that kind of argument.

Can't we blace PDF/SRC boxes there instead?

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be