perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: a light reshuffle of pages + improving /index.html
Date Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:41:20 GMT
At 17:37 21.04.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Bill Moseley wrote:
>>At 03:51 PM 04/21/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>>per my previous suggestion I've moved the about pages into their own
>>>docset: /start. The problem was that the menu was getting unwanted items
>>>when you added the tips page to be processed. Now it's fine.
>>
>>In docset, is it possible to avoid the toc page when you click on the About
>>link?  I think it's much better for the About main menu item to go directly
>>to the about page.  Now you click on What is mod_perl and all you get is a
>>one-line answer:
>>    What is mod_perl?
>>       Apache + Perl = mod_perl
>>And the examples should only be linked directly off the more>> links, as
>>they are out of context otherwise.
>
>Is it bad or just not as good as we want it to. DocSet is a generic tool,
>and works by stacking docsets one inside another. If you have an idea how
>to keep it generic and still do what you want, please suggest.

What about this: we add the about.html page as actually being
index_top.html in about/.
Then there will be a TOC at the bottom, but that won't be a problem as it
covers some subjects which have been covered already and as such summarizes it.
This will make the links work correctly too.

>There is a way to work around it by making the start docset hidden (so
>it'll be stil processed),
>and using the link property to link where you want from the menu. Try this
>patch. But the drawback
>is that in this case the hidden docset's "up" button will still bring its
>index.html.

I don't think that would be too much of a problem, so this is a
possibility. It's what I was thinking about at first.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be