perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: a light reshuffle of pages + improving /index.html
Date Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:54:56 GMT
At 18:24 21.04.2002, Bill Moseley wrote:
>At 03:51 PM 04/21/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
> >Also I wanted to ask you about the very top /index.html. it looks quite
> >bad. Can we improve the blurb and use less <B></B> as when too much bold
> >is used, it doesn't bring the effect.
> >
> >Can we drop the index_top part altogether?
>
>No, I feel strongly that each top-level page should have some intro text,
>especially the home page.  Better (less) use of different fonts is the way
>to go.  And more white space will make it feel less crowded.
>
>Granted that the first level pages are often just table of contents, but
>they still need an explanation or intro paragraph.

+1

>One big problem I've been having is the title bar (in reverse) just fades
>into the fabric of the page too much.  So, to my eyes, the page content
>starts off with the first paragraph, often followed by a bold heading.  So
>what happens is that first paragraph is lost, and just looks like noise.

I pretty much agree.... but it looks pretty neat now. Again, I mean that
anyone looking doesn't care about the title because they know it already.
But taht's not much of an excuse.

>Again, here's a huge design change, but I think it's much easier to read:
>
>      http://mardy.hank.org:5000/test5/index.html

A move in the right direction, though not completely there yet. The title
is more eye-catching, but the design doesn't look as neat and good as it
did before.

>I also cheated a bit.  On that test5 version I just disabled the [SRC][PDF]
>display.  Since [SRC] is rarely used, it should not be the first item in
>the upper left of the content section.  I believe it should go at the
>bottom of the page.
>Stas argues for the pdf link.  Again, rarely used but valuable, I suppose.
>I didn't try, but one idea would be to just use the letters "pdf" as a
>non-underlined link to just to the left of the [prev] button, yet still on
>the right side.  So it's there but very, very, quiet.

I think the PDF link should be visible enough. It's a good feature, and I
like the idea of having a nice printable version. -1 on removing it for
making it fade away.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be