perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: "What's modperl" revisited
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 06:49:09 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> At 02:13 PM 04/22/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>The problem that worries me with the outcome of "What's modperl" is that
>>we tie all this intro to mod_perl 1.x and I'm not sure what we will do
>>when 2.0 comes. The worry is that we put 1.x stuff into the main space,
>>rather docs/1.0/. I suggest to somehow prefix it with 1.0 and in the
>>future we will add a similar intro for 2.0 and after 2.0 is out for a
>>while we switch to 2.0 and give a link to 1.0.
>

> I was wondering about that when I was using "docs/1.0/..." in some link.
>
> I have not followed 2.0.  But I kind of hoped that the examples would be
> simple and basic enough that they would apply to either version.  Is that
> not true?

most of the things will be the same with Apache::compat layer, but some
idioms change
(even for simple examples, mainly config) and we better teach 2.0 idioms
when the time comes.
I guess another approach would be to simply fixup the existing info
under /start to be 2.0-only complient, and poing to the guide for 1.0
details (getwet for example).

Most likely, when 2.0 goes live, new to mod_perl (any version) people
won't want to go to 1.x  and therefore they will want us to teach them
the 2.0 basics from the beginning.