perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Search box at top
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:21:19 GMT
allan said:

>>Again, the words flow off the right, so
>>navigation follows there.  I don't think it's a problem that they don't
>>align vertically.
>>
>>  <<prev
>>      ssl;fjsd l;ksjf lkjls fl;fjslkfldsj
>>      sa;jkfslj sdlfjlskd jfsda;lfj sdlk
>>      alkj lsajflk jjsddjs;fkls lfjds sdl
>>                                    next >>
>>

> did you in fact mean?:
>    <<prev|up|next
>        ssl;fjsd l;ksjf lkjls fl;fjslkfldsj
>        sa;jkfslj sdlfjlskd jfsda;lfj sdlk
>        alkj lsajflk jjsddjs;fkls lfjds sdl
>                               prev|up|next >>
>

> personally i dont find it such a big issue, though a slighly
> confusing, but if we send it to the user-friendly-police i
> think people will prefer similar navigation to be placed similary.

no problems here, just leave [top] alone and put the prev/next on the
next line.. or is it a bad idea?

I do agree with allan here, I like symmetry :) May be we can find a nice
symmetric compromise here.

>>I have three browses running on Windows and three on Linux (well
>>Galeon/mozilla are almost the same).  What browser do I need to install
>>that will show me the problems?
>

> [call 999]
> as far as i recall you had problems yourself with the search
> (in the leftbar)  that was to wide or something. when we
> removed the styles that got solved.

If I remember correctly that wasn't the thing that solved the problem. I
think that what has solved is s/15/12/ for the width of the input. And
then someone has changed it back to 15, which broken NS4 again, so I had
to reduce it again. And 12 chars as I've mentioned before aren't as
useful as 15 or more :)

> i also saw problems
> myself with that styled-search box in netscape 6.2 and
> generallt opera5+, ns6 and ie5+ has on my platform very
> different rendering of styles in form elements.

True :( I wish we had only one good browser or many browsers all
complying to the same standard. Back when I worked at Intel, we
developed only for one browser NS3, I believe. It was so nice, then IE
arrive and the hell broke loose... sigh...

of course we need to fix the HTML... thanks for verifying it, but I
guess Bill
was just presenting the concept and this time.