perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: not satisfied with search :(
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:08:43 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> At 05:32 PM 04/15/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>The paging navigation could be improved. Now we have:
>>
>>Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15   Previous 15   Next 15
>>
>>Most "pagers" I've used present Prev and Next links and shift the
>>central 10 or so pages all the time, so you get something like:
>>
>> Prev 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next
>

> That's just what you are used to.  Having the Prev and Next next to each
> other means less mouse movement, and less repetitive stress injuries....

Makes sense to me. I'm not arguing :)

> The way it currently works for the numbers is there's a sliding window.
> You just didn't look far enough, I think:
>
>   Page: 1 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 99   Previous 15   Next 15
>
> That gives you a way to get back to page one, or to the end.  If sorting by
> rank, that's a useless feature, since most people only look at the first
> page or two.  But it's somewhat helpful if sorting by some other property
> -- then you can quickly get to the start or end.
>
> But anyone that's getting more than a page of results probably needs to run
> the query again with a more refined search.
>

>>I'm used to press Next to get to the next page, and end up pressing on
>>'Next 15'
>

> Yes, that's right.  If you want the next page you click on the "Next 15" link.

OK, so why do we need '15' then? In any case it's broken. Search for
mod_cgi and click on Next 15. First we don't have 15 pages, but only 3.
Second what's Next 13 below?
Page: 1 2 3   Previous 15   Next 13

>>in any case 'prev' is usually expected on the left side, if 'next' is on
>>the right :)

> Ok, I think I can figure out how to move it.

Whichever way you prefer. I was just saying that most search engine that
I've seen put prev on the left side. To solve the jumping problem just
always keep 1 in the list. These are just suggestions, what we have now
is ok to me.