perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Search updates
Date Sat, 06 Apr 2002 15:06:05 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> Allan set me some updates to the search pages and style sheet relating to
> the search page.  Those are now in.
>
> I ran a search results page and style sheet through http://validator.w3.org
>
> I made a few minor changes.

[changes snippet]

Thanks Bill.

http:/perl.apache.org/preview/modperl-docs/dst_html/index.html has been
updated, rebuilt and reindexed.

> Questions:
>
> 1) The path name in the green properties section is often quite long
> causing a scroll bar for the page width.  What do you think about hacking
> off the fragment?

+1, just add ... if you chop to indicate that there is more

> 2) The doc size is only the size of the specific section, not the size of
> the entire page (which must be downloaded to view).  Should that show the
> real size instead?

show both if it's easy. Something like this:

  Size: Section 45k, Document 300k

> 3) I think we need to not display the search box in the side bar on the
> search page.  Doesn't make sense to say "search this section" there on the
> search results page, of course.

-1.

Let's keep it for consistency/constant skeleton, otherwise you get the
refresh in mozilla.
I doubt people will ever try to search from the menu if they have a big
fat search form in front.