perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From allan <lambre...@inet.uni2.dk>
Subject Re: titles all look the same
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:41:16 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:

> [Per Einar Ellefsen notifies that all headers look the same]
>
> > what i have done, is:
> > - boldfaced the h1, h2, h3, h4 (which i think we should have
> > done anyway).
> > - included the path/breadcrumb for (_only_) this particular
> > item : APACHE_SRC
> > (the styles for this local path/breadcrumb is of course the
> > same as the one at the top of the page)
> >

> > so what you get is first of all more visible section headers
> > (because they are bold) and secondly a complete path for the
> > current chosen item. with that path (and its links) close to you,
> > it's easier to see where you actually are and therefore
> > easier to navigate the content _and_ therefore easier to
> > understand the context.
> >

> > well, click on APACHE_SRC in the table of contents and you
> > see what i mean.
> >
> > this solution is not so visibly seperated as you requested,
> > but on the other hand it is user-friendly IMO. in fact,
> > having just taken a look at it again i think it looks rather
> > cool, also because it will (should) scale well if there's a
> > long path.
>
> As Per Einar has mentioned this solution won't "scale" where headers are
> long.

i don't understand you here stas. do you mean the actual
relevant header won't scale well?
or did you mean the breadcrumb/path idea won't scale well.
both scale well here.

> More over, I always try to make a parallel of our site with a real book.
> Where the nesting is clear by changing the size of the title and
> sometimes italizing the deepest level sub-titles. But the italized text
> may read bad on certain browsers if the font is not good, so we should
> stay away from heavy italizing, other then for special constructs in the
> text (e.g. filenames).

i like the parallel with a book. but a well-organized book
has two major major advantages before a well-organized
website, namely typography and navigation.
about typography for our site i think we should at least
stay away from italics for the headers. i
much prefer either size or emphasize differences or a
combination of those.
about navigation, i actually consider the new "breadcrumb" a
major boost. especially that particular file is very long
and not easy to navigate. with a breadcrumb you are never
alone (well almost) :)

> Therefore I suggest not to overdesign and simply fix the stylesheet to
> do the right thing.

when you say overdesign do you mean in the negative
way, that it is trying to help too much and thus will be
more confusing than helping or do you simply mean "too
designed" like many graphic artists gets carried away?

>Currently all headers are of the same size, which is
> wrong. Is this correct:
>
> h1 1.2em
> h2 1.1em
> h3 1.0em
> h4 0.9em
> ??

apart from the fact that a size below 1.0em for a header
more sounds or rather looks like a footer. our body default
is (correctly) 1.0em so we might end up with headers smaller
than the body-text (:

> anybody familiar with the default HTML sizes for these (talking about
> relations between two adjucent sizes, not absolute sizes)?

not me, sorry

./allan