perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: More content?
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:39:14 GMT
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a suggestion: let's make the mod_perl website a place where a
> user can get at all the documentation he could possibly want. Or atleast
> most of it :)

If you didn't notice already, that's the plan :) it all should happen
under docs/2.0/ which is where 99% of the effort should put on, since we
have 99% of what mod_perl 1.x user may want to know already covered
under docs/1.0.

But I suggest first that we concentrate on getting the new site released
first.

The content patches and new documents are on-going unrelated things to
the design/skeleton issue.

Therefore I suggest not to get distructed until we get the design finalized.

I'm mainly concerned with making the existing content fit well into the
new site (read: good descriptions, titles, etc), which should be done
before the release, so people won't complain :) after that we will start
working on creating new content, directly and indirectly related to
mod_perl.

> Our content is great: we have very complete documentation, tips, etc...
> This is extremely good.
> But there are other things that might be interesting for a user,
> especially documentation of the various Apache modules. I think it would
> be possible for us to automate the integration of the man pages of all
> CPAN-hosted modules into the site, a little like search.cpan.org does,
> but using our site-generation mechanism. This would give users the
> feeling that they have everything they need available right on
> perl.apache.org. This could also be extended to include Perl
> documentation, so that there's a handy Perl reference available,
> something which is always useful.
> Tell me what you think; I'm sure we could work this into our content
> easily (adding a section: Apache:: modules)

shouldn't be a problems at all, this all can go to docs/[1-2].0/api

> Another issue: News & Articles.
> I know this should go to Take23, but Take23 has been somewhat dead
> lately, and we need to liven it up.

yup, that's take23.org's role.

> First of all, a News/Announcements section for the mod_perl site would
> be good, either on the main page or (probably better) on a separate
> "News" page. We could have announcements of new mod_perl releases (which
> don't usually get enough press), and maybe of module releases or just
> new modules.

+1, we can start with a simple single page similar to Changes file, made
as a shift register, where old items fall onto the floor pushed off by
the new items.

> Next, aside all the interesting documentation we have, it might be good
> to have some "feature articles": these should probably be on Take23 and
> not on perl.apache.org, but it's still nice to try and get a continuous
> amount of articles that don't try to teach you mod_perl, but try and
> show you the cool things you can do with mod_perl (a little like the
> Perl.com articles show off the cool things you can do with Perl).

We better link to the sites that have mod_perl articles. We already have
a few links, but need to extend this. I definitely agree that more works
is needed here.

> That's my opinion. I think that if we make the information available to
> people, they'll be more impressed as they won't have to search
> everywhere for what they're looking for. Tell me what you think about it.

Your thinking is great and there is a lot of things to do :)
But let's get some things done first...