perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Moseley <mose...@hank.org>
Subject Re: not satisfied with search :(
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:31:13 GMT
At 05:32 PM 04/15/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>The paging navigation could be improved. Now we have:
>
>Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15   Previous 15   Next 15
>
>Most "pagers" I've used present Prev and Next links and shift the
>central 10 or so pages all the time, so you get something like:
>
>  Prev 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next

That's just what you are used to.  Having the Prev and Next next to each
other means less mouse movement, and less repetitive stress injuries....

The way it currently works for the numbers is there's a sliding window.
You just didn't look far enough, I think:

  Page: 1 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 99   Previous 15   Next 15

That gives you a way to get back to page one, or to the end.  If sorting by
rank, that's a useless feature, since most people only look at the first
page or two.  But it's somewhat helpful if sorting by some other property
-- then you can quickly get to the start or end.

But anyone that's getting more than a page of results probably needs to run
the query again with a more refined search.

>I'm used to press Next to get to the next page, and end up pressing on
>'Next 15'

Yes, that's right.  If you want the next page you click on the "Next 15" link.

>in any case 'prev' is usually expected on the left side, if 'next' is on
>the right :)

Ok, I think I can figure out how to move it.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org