perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: picky wording question
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:22:13 GMT
At 20:10 25.03.2002, James G Smith wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen <per.einar@skynet.be> wrote:
> >
> >At 19:54 25.03.2002, James G Smith wrote:
> >>If this has been resolved by past discussion on the list, please
> >>ignore this email.
> >>
> >>I am wondering about the wording of `Extraordinaire Technologie' in
> >>the left navigation box.  I'm wondering if we don't want to say
> >>something like `Technology Extraordinaire' instead.
> >>

> >>% webster Extraordinaire
> >>ex.traor.di.naire \ik-,str<o.>(r)d-<\e>n-'er, ek-\ adj (1945)
> >>  [F]
> >>     :EXTRAORDINARY -- used postpositively <a chef extraordinaire>
> >
> >It depends if you're english or french :) In french, you'd probably say
> >Technologie extraordinaire, yes, you're right.
> >But the expresion is a little weird... Where does this come from ?
>
>The expression I mention (Extraordinaire Technologie) is from the
>English mod_perl site in development.
>
>   http://perl.apache.org/preview/modperl-docs/dst_html/index.html
>
>I agree that it is perhaps proper French, but it's on an English
>site.  The English phrase `Technology Extraordinaire' would be proper
>in English (and has a bit more flare than `Extraordinary Technology'
>- might count towards the 14 pieces of flare).
>
>I think that answers the question, but if it doesn't, let me know.

I know it's from the new mod_perl site :)

No, actually I was saying it would be wrong in french too, but even if it
would be correct english, it seems a bit odd. That's why I was wondering
why this expression was chosen instead of something plain like "case
studies". I guess it might be because it sounds cool :) Anyway, I'll just
shut up now, as I'm talking nonsense.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be