perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: Need stylesheet help for NS4.0
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:19:24 GMT
At 18:04 25.03.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Bill Moseley wrote:

>>>hmm, can we teach swish-e some special logics? e.g. can we tell swish-e
>>>to take any perl module that it sees (i.e. a::b) and split it into words
>>>but still search for parts and whole module names?
>>
>>So Apache::Registry would get indexed as these three words?
>>  1 apache::registry
>>  2 apache
>>  3 registry
>>Of course we can, it's open source, after all ;)
>>My guess is it would be easier to do in perl.  SwishProgParameters.pl has
>>HTML::TreeBuilder code -- I suppose once the new documents are created
>>could traverse the HTML tree and use a regular expression to match module
>>names and add additional content by splitting on /::/.
>>What do you think?
>
>Sounds good to me, but before we talk about feasibility.
>Will this give good intuitive results? I think the :: special case will
>help a lot for the perl related code.

Yes, this is very important. Imagine you're looking for something talking
about registry scripts. You search for "registry", you don't get
Apache::Registry, and you search for Apache::Registry, you don't get the
common "registry scripts" expression. So this is definitely very important.

Another issue of the search I'd like to address is that the packet of
results that come back is a little problematic: the mixture of code which
cannot be formatted and text is a mess, and you're easily turned off byt
it. I suggest that we make it search through the code sections (as it's
still pretty important), but we don't show the code listing on the results
page.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be