perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <per.ei...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: to compress or not to?
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:11:32 GMT
At 01:00 23.03.2002 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>>At 22:12 22.03.2002 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to have the pdf and src gzipped,
>>>it seems that most browsers cannot handle properly gzip attachement and
>>>mess things up. On the other hand without gzip the size is bigger. So
>>>does anybody think that we should keep things gzipped?
>>
>>Ok, I know, I'm new here, but I'll give my point of view:
>
>Thanks for chiming in, Per Einar :)

I'd really like to help out, so please, if I can help with anything, please
say so. I'm not that great with designing myself, but I have strong
opinions on how things should look, and know enough about all the
standards, etc etc...

>>Personally, I think the PDF version shouldn't be gzipped, as it clearly
>>creates problems: the point of a PDF version is to have something that
>>looks great, has all the information in one file, is nicely printable,
>>but is also viewable from a web browser. People don't care whether it
>>takes a minute or two more to download it (depending on the connection of
>>course.. it might be a second or two), but they do care if they find out
>>they can't open it once they have downloaded it.
>
>that's what I was thinking :) As I was annoyed myself for not being able
>to open it right away with mozilla.
>
>>As for the src, that's not as important, as most people won't be
>>downloading that anyway. I think that one should remain gzipped.
>
>But then to be consistent shouldn't we have this uncompressed to?
>The source files are much smaller than pdfs, e.g.:
>
>dst_html/docs/1.0/guide/strategy.pdf 71509
>dst_html/docs/1.0/guide/strategy.pod 48392
>
>compressed:
>dst_html/docs/1.0/guide/strategy.pdf.gz 55516
>dst_html/docs/1.0/guide/strategy.pod.gz 17627
>
>pdf is already quite compressed.
>
>On the other hand I doubt people will download source at all,
>other than sending patches :)

Oh yes, if it's just a pod file, then ok. I hadn't really looked at it, but
if it's not gzipped, it's actually better, because then those who know pod
can just look at the source quiclly by hitting the link.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be