perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: url encodings
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 02:05:27 GMT
allan wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>According to the RFC 2396: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2396.html
>>       uric          = reserved | unreserved | escaped
>>       reserved      = ";" | "/" | "?" | ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" | "+" |
>>                       "$" | ","
>>       unreserved    = alphanum | mark
>>       mark          = "-" | "_" | "." | "!" | "~" | "*" | "'" |
>>                       "(" | ")"
>>
>>       escaped       = "%" hex hex
>>       hex           = digit | "A" | "B" | "C" | "D" | "E" | "F" |
>>                               "a" | "b" | "c" | "d" | "e" | "f"
>>
>>so "/" is not a problem.
>

> why ?
>
> i can see that "/" (like "&") is reserved, thus should be
> escaped, no?

not necessarily, you have quoted the explanation yourself:

> 2.2. Reserved Characters
>
>    Many URI include components consisting of or delimited
> by, certain
>    special characters.  These characters are called
> "reserved", since
>    their usage within the URI component is limited to their reserved
>    purpose.

> If the data for a URI component would conflict
> with the reserved purpose, then the conflicting data must be
> escaped before forming the URI.

Where in this URI :? conflicts with the reserved purpose?

http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer

To me everything after ? is a query string and can include anything at
all, as long as the browser doesn't have a problem with it.

BTW, I think there are browsers that cannot handle unencoded spaces in
URLs, e.g. as in: "http://foo/bar/o o.html"

and the an unencoded space is not allowed in the URL and thus needs to
be escaped.