perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From allan <lambre...@inet.uni2.dk>
Subject Re: url encodings
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 01:57:31 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> we do encode &'s, I just didn't commit this code yet. added it yesterday.

great!

> the simplest solution is to call:
>
> perl -MURI::Escape -le 'print
> uri_escape("http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer");'
>
> http%3A%2F%2Ftheoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca%2Fcgi-bin%2Fppmserver%3Furn%3A%2FPPMServer
>
> Do you like the URLs look like this? I think URI::Escape is broken,
> since I don't think it should escape http://. What do you think?

looks bad, agreed.

> At this moment I do:
> use constant ENCODE_CHARS => '<>&" ';
> $val = HTML::Entities::encode($val, ENCODE_CHARS);
>
> I suppose we could use URI to analyze the URI and encode only the query
> string part.

sounds mega cool in my ears, but on the other hand its not
on top of my current wish-list of things to be fixed :)

the reason i reported it was because, every time i do a
build locally i also do a complete syntax check of the site,
and almost all of the "errors" are url-encodings. as i
mentioned i dont use the w3c validator, so i didn't know it
accepted things like this.

lets leave this issue for now

./allan