perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: search widget
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:28:40 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> At 05:51 PM 03/26/02 +0100, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>
>>>Oh, we can link the 'Search' title to the 'Advanced search'
>>>The less items we have on the menu the better.
>>
>>+1 on that: we still need a link to the search page as it does have some
>>features someone might need, and it's not intuitive having to search for
>>nothing to get to the advanced options.
>

> How about in the search box a link in small type "advanced search"?
>
> I never really though of the swish.cgi page as an "advanced" search, rather
> that the search boxes on the other pages were just short-cuts to going to
> Search and typing in a query.
>
> I also imagined it more like you search, then, if you like, you can adjust
> your search once you see the initial results.

I'm trying hard to keep the skeleton as less cluttered as possible.
Every box and every element you add you make the page more confusing,
especially for those who aren't used to the site yet.
Therefore I'm +1 on having just the seach box and submit button,
searching the current context. This will always lead you to the advanced
search.

If you really want to have this/all checkboxes, how about using symbolic
images? one depicting a part of a whole and another depicting a whole?