perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Need stylesheet help for NS4.0
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:41:59 GMT
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 18:04 25.03.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Bill Moseley wrote:

>>> So Apache::Registry would get indexed as these three words?
>>>  1 apache::registry
>>>  2 apache
>>>  3 registry
>>> Of course we can, it's open source, after all ;)
>>> My guess is it would be easier to do in perl.  SwishProgParameters.pl
>>> has
>>> HTML::TreeBuilder code -- I suppose once the new documents are created
>>> could traverse the HTML tree and use a regular expression to match
>>> module
>>> names and add additional content by splitting on /::/.
>>> What do you think?
>>

>> Sounds good to me, but before we talk about feasibility.
>> Will this give good intuitive results? I think the :: special case will
>> help a lot for the perl related code.
>

> Yes, this is very important. Imagine you're looking for something
> talking about registry scripts. You search for "registry", you don't get
> Apache::Registry, and you search for Apache::Registry, you don't get the
> common "registry scripts" expression. So this is definitely very important.

of course. That's exactly the idea :)

> Another issue of the search I'd like to address is that the packet of
> results that come back is a little problematic: the mixture of code
> which cannot be formatted and text is a mess, and you're easily turned
> off byt it. I suggest that we make it search through the code sections
> (as it's still pretty important), but we don't show the code listing on
> the results page.

I suggest the following solution: if you meet a <pre> tag and no closing
</pre> tag we add it.
Do you think this is possible Bill? Assuming that all the HTML is proper
(no text without enclosing <p>),
we can always tell which text is not HTML (i.e. <pre>) am I right?