perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: search box
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 15:08:17 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> At 03:34 PM 03/05/02 +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 06:25:56AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
>>
>>>Oh, I just resized in NS4 and see that the site still falls apart -- that
>>>is all the text in the content section ends up in a single narrow long
>>>column.  Was that decided that is also a fact of life?  Maybe a solution
>>>there it so use javascript -- reload on resize?
>>>
>>Thats a bug in NS4. I don't think it's a good idea to add the reload on
>>resize, thats going to affect all users (some pages are quite long and could
>>take a while to reload, and it's causing unneeded traffic), just to solve
>>a problem that's caused by someone else (i.e. NS4).
>>

> Sorry, I was joking about the reload on resize.  I forgot to add ;).
>
> So it's acceptable behavior?
>
> That bug is from using CSS to format.  Are there CSS tweaks that could
> solve that in NS4?  That is, could we use the @import trick to load a
> different CSS for NS4 that would avoid or reduce the problem?

Sorry, I don't know of any. Also consider the fact that most people
don't resize their browsers. Usually they minimize/maximize them only.
Of course I'm not against a better solution :)

> Or have we decided that the number of people using NS4 *and* resizing will
> be so small that we don't need to worry about it?

I'm -1 on using @import trick because I don't like the idea of
maintaining two versions of a big file like style.css is. It also requires
JS to figure out the useragent.
If many people complain we will reconsider I guess.