perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: some patches
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 09:44:02 GMT
Jonathan M. Hollin wrote:
> :: I tested before and after the patch with all browsers (see
> :: above), looks great on all of them!
>
> I hope it's not too late in the day to bring this up

nope, it's not too late. Ideally we should finish everything during this
week. So if you have any problems please let us know.

> , but the search
> element really bothers me...
>
> 1)  I don't think it's intuitive.  The "Press enter" text in the search
> field is not 100% explanatory - I think it could be misinterpreted (e.g:
> "So I press "enter" and that will let me search"); but when I press
> "enter" nothing happens at all, only after I have moved focus to the
> text field is "enter" activated.  Now, we are all familiar with this
> behaviour, but some might not be.
>
> 2)  Where's the button?  On web forms, we are all used to seeing a
> "submit" button in one guise or another.  It's not here!!!  Suddenly I
> have to unlearn what I know and learn a new methodology.  That's not
> good.
>
> BUT:  I've missed a lot over the last few weeks (pressures of work), so
> if this issue is (or has been) addressed then please delete and ignore
> this rant (you may also fire a small thermonuclear warhead at my house
> if it pleases you).

Yup, we are aware of this problem. What you see is just a try.

We tried the submit button, but on certain platforms/browsers that was
ugly.

We tried to use submit image (to keep the button small and nice),
but then the 'ENTER to submit' feature won't work on all platforms
without clicking
on the button.
I guess we will go back to the submit HTML button in the end.