perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: local navigation
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 02:02:40 GMT
allan wrote:

> hello all,
>

> what is local navigation?
>
> to me and for our site it is:
>
> - search
> - prev|up|next
> - top

yup

> hence i would very much like all these navigation-widgets to
> look alike
> more or less.

they are

> (i know that the prev|up|next has moved up one layer to for
> index.html pages so that is noit so local as before, but
> still)

no logic change here, the prev|next on the index.html page is the
*local* navigation of the docset.

> so top.gif should be with a white arrow/blue text (or vice
> versa) to keep it similar to the prev|up|next widget.

Nope, because that implies that there are two functions. Every time you
reverse colors in prev|up|next the link goes elsewhere. If you do the
same for the top icon, people will think that the arrow-up is no the
same as the word top.

May be we should simply leave only the word 'top' or the arrow-up. In
fact I think that to be consistent we should either add arrows to the
prev|next widget or remove it from top. No?

> also as a sitenote, the space above & below should be
> increased even further
> (<br>x3 on both sides i think)

why? to make a better separation? I agree with separation, but I really
dislike the fact that the more <br>'s you add the more scrolling you
need right away. On the opposite I'd prefer to see as much as possible
content without scrolling at all. May be I can switch to the next page,
without a need to look further down the page. That's why I've added <hr>
to do the separation with minimal vertical space waste. But you
disapproved it, so I've removed it.

OK, how about changing the title widget not to carry a bg, but to make
it outstanding in some other ways. And instead make the [search|
download| prev|next] widget use a different bg color? In this case the
separation will be clear and there will be no need for any <br>'s at all?