perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject a problem with internal linking functionality
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:41:20 GMT
There is one last big things I need to do before we can start wrapping
up. It's the internal linking (talking about L<>). This is a very
complicated problem and I still didn't figure out how to do this in the
best way. Remember that each doc should be able to link to another doc
potentially located in a completely different directory. Currently I'm
thinking that each doc must use something like this
L<Title|docs::2.0::api::mod_perl-2.0::Apache::ServerUtil/"whatever">
which is a hell to type, but makes things so easy from the maintenance
point of view. If we don't use a full path, it's possible that two docs
have the same end file name, so doing a search in the file tree may be
not an option :(

Also have to decide what to do about the new layout I started to use:

devel/testing/testing.pod

instead of just

devel/testing.pod

This is done so you can put images and other static objects and code
related to this specific document without messing up with other
documents. But that also means that we need to do something like:
L<Apache::Test framework|docs::2.0::devel::testing::testing/"whatever">

see the duplication? I guess I could resolve it in the code, but what if
later we decide that there could be another doc residing in the same dir
with testing.pod :9

So I'm still thinking and if you have ideas on how to approach this
problem easier please tell me.