perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Houston, we have a problem...
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:26:48 GMT
Jonathan M. Hollin wrote:

> Hey gang,
>
> The design study at
> http://www.apache.org/~stas/modperl-site/docs/2.0/api/mod_perl-2.0/APR/P
> erlIO.html is not looking too good when browsing with MS IE6 on Win2K.
>
> 1)  The menu panel is completely disfigured.

sigh :( Any ideas why?

> 2)  The font size is HUGE.  I'm viewing on with a screen resolution of
> 1280 x 1024 - so I have to suggest that @ 800 x 600 on this platform,
> these font's are going to look horrendous.  Remember that 800 x 600 is
> the most common screen resolution in use.

Well, I've placed your snapshot next to mozilla and the font is the same
(under 1280x1024 resolution), so it *is* big (not special in IE6), we
just should make it smaller.

> 3)  Regardless of the size of my browser window, I have a persistent
> horizontal scroll bar.  This is ugly and totally unnecessary.

again, any ideas why? and how to fix that

> I have placed a screen-capture online at
> http://wypug.digital-word.com/miscellaneous/mod_perl_website.jpg.
> Ignore the OS X cosmetics, the platform is IE6 on Win2K as stated above.
>
> This needs to be fixed guys - I am beginning to believe that we might
> not be able to do this layout without using tables.

sure we will, we don't have many choices. It's so simple with the
existing site, there is a plain page and it looks the same everywhere.

but man, what a pain...

I'm starting to think again about making it very simple, a flat page as
it is now on perl.apache.org, with the expandable menu on the *top* and
that's it. No troubles, no boxes, no complicated CSS or table workarounds.

Are you sure that once we figure out all the issues some other users on
browser foo platform bar will start complaining that it looks bad for
them or even worse, that's it's unusable.

> FYI, I have also loaded the page into Netscape 6 on Win2K and it looks
> great (apart from the huge fonts).

cool :)