perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject creating a more compete navigation bar
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:21:24 GMT
Now, after converting the [prev|up|next] to use images I think the next step is to do the same
to the TOC link, i.e. replace with the image, ala allan's design. Though I think that both
text 'TOC' and image in separate boxes of different color is confusing.

Another possibility is to have:

[toc]   [prev|up|next]

with some space in between.

Also if you look at the current guide http://perl.apache.org/guide,
there is [search|download] as well.

So may be we put everything in one bar?

[prev|up|next]  [search]  [pdf|source]

(again using spaces to separate functionality)

search is not functional yet, but will be at some point. it's possible
that we will have more functional buttons. for example there will be
[split] button for the split version of the long doc, which I didn't
port yet.

To sum things up, I suggest to remove the download box, and choose from
these two options:

1.

1a. the following bar at the top and the bottom of each document:

[search]  [pdf|source] [prev|up|next]

(prev|up|next) aligned to the right, as it shrinks when there is no prev
or next doc. and we want the bar look static when flipping between pages.

1b. the [toc] (+ may be other functions) repeated after each h1-h4 section.

[toc]

2. a single bar repeated after each h1-h4 section:

[toc] [search]  [pdf|source] [prev|up|next]

of course other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!