perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject an old/new navigation widget idea
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2002 10:11:09 GMT
I've a new idea on how to make the navigation very intuitive (old to me,
see the end of the email, why it's old). I'm not sure though if it's
going to be easy to make it look nice.

So we start from scratching everything we have before 'Table of
Contents', and replace it with map #1:

                  ------
                 [ Home ]
                  ------

                  ---------------
                 | Documentation |
                  ---------------

                  ----------
                 [ 2.0 docs ]
                  ----------

                 -------
                [ Guide ]
             ----------------
              /    |      \
  -------------    |     ------
[ Performance ]---|----[ Help ]--...
  -------------    |     ------

          -------------------
         [                   ]
         [ <h1>Porting</h1>  ]
         [                   ]
          -------------------

Or if it takes too much vertical space, this is map #2

[Home] / [ Documentation] / [2.0] / [Guide]

                                ----------------
                                  /    |      \
                          -------------    |     ------
                    ...--[ Performance ]---|----[ Help ]--...
                          -------------    |     ------

                                 --------------------
                                 [                   ]
                                 [ <h1>Porting</h1>  ]
                                 [                   ]
                                 --------------------

I think currently the problem is that we split the map of the current
document into 3 pieces, which makes things unintuitive. I think we
should have only one map, in one of the ways or similar ways I've shown
above.

The idea is that from the current document you can go up to any of the
ancestors in the tree, or to your immediate siblings which are logically
linked before and after the current document.

Since the titles can be quite long I'm not sure if we can fit three
bodies in one line, and we definitely want the current page's title to
stand out. That's why I brought it one level down and used a bigger font
for it.

If this is not going to work, a part of my suggestion still solves the
ambiguity of the [up] link. We must raise the [prev|up|next] widget to
the top of the page next to the parental map. In this case we don't need
  [up]. Once we have done this you get exactly my map #2.

This brings all the global navigation widgets together and solves most
of the problems raised earlier.

I guess you didn't see this thing
before:http://www.apache.org/~stas/docset-demo/docs/user/intro/start_fast.html

This is a demo for the DocSet itself, but uses the same content :)