perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: prev - up - next widget
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:11:20 GMT
lambretta@inet.uni2.dk wrote:

> hello guys
>
> (please bear me if i have missed some parts of disscusions)
>
> i am on a Win32 / Microsoft Internet Explorer / 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0;
> Windows 98; Q312461)
>
> no screenshots availablity here, sorry!
>
> this design am i refering to:
> http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/style*/download/binaries.html
>

> i really have a problem with the prev-up-next-widget.
>
> firstly i dont find it very intuitive. (it is the first time i see it)
> like the arrow pointing back reminds me of the back button in many browers so
> to me that would point one point back in my history list. likewise with arrow
> forward.

I don't see problems with keeping < and > icons. They show which is the
previous document and which is the next. No conflict with back and
forward buttons in the browser. Though I do prefer them to be at the far
edges rather than in the center.

If you have better ideas go ahead and suggest, but innovation is not a
bad thing. If it's a first time that you see it and you realize the
correct use quickly then it's good, even if you aren't used to it.

> secondly IMO it does not _look_ good. i hate to sound egominded but i really
> much prefer 'my own' suggestion because the whole widget is boxed. one of the
> problems with the current is that it just sort of floats in the middle of
> nowhere (any style). with the links underlined as well the whole page looks
> pretty cluttered. to be quite honest i thinnk it actually would be better to
> not have it at all.

Let's try to put the prev|up|next widget as made by you on the Thomas' latest design. The
thing is that I want the templates for the latest design, the ones online aren't the latest.
Thomas can you please tar up style7 and I'll put it under cvs. So from then you can all apply
corrections without being dependent on others.

We cannot kill this widget all together just because we cannot agree on how it should look
like. We need it, it's an essential part of the navigation system.

 > please dont get me wrong. but as i see it right here we both loose
points on

> userability and good looking. some times a good looking site automatically
> means an easy to navigate site. IMO none is the case here, sorry.

That's OK, no need to be sorry. We are just trying to find some
consensus here and given that we are all coming with different
backgrounds, habits, tastes and browsers, it's obvious that we all have
a different idea of a perfect design. Hence all constructive comments
are useful. We are moving very close to the release stage and can adjust
things later. Or we'll never finish discussing things.