perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Moseley <mose...@hank.org>
Subject Re: adding search?
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:10:07 GMT
At 12:00 AM 01/27/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>so we have about 3MB of source code in 134 files (and will be more
>likely 6MB, when 2.0 docs are done, with 200+ files). Do you think it's
>possible to grep through in a reasonable response time? Remember that
>there will be a lot of IO for opening and closing many files.

It's not like mod_perl is a high volume site.  And it's running on a lot
faster machine than my machine:

~/modperl-docs > find src -name '*.pod' | wc -l
    105

~/modperl-docs > time find src -name '*.pod' | xargs fgrep '$|' | wc -l
     23

real    0m0.033s
user    0m0.030s
sys     0m0.010s

That seems reasonable enough, even if it was ten times slower.

>> All the reverse indexing engines will parse on indexing, so it will always
>> be an issue of defining what makes up a word.
>>
>> Let me ask Avi Rappoport if there's something good for searching code.
>
>I think that Randy's setup was quite satisfying, but nextrieve was even
>better. What do you think about nextrieve?

I don't know much about it.  It's not open source, and it's not free.  I
really doubt it integrates with Template Toolkit.

Could we feed the pod source into Parse::RecDescent and get it to tokenize
perl code?  That would be more fun.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org