perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Moseley <mose...@hank.org>
Subject Re: adding search?
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:37:09 GMT
At 04:09 PM 1/26/2002 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:

>Of course, Bill, I was just asking which search engine you are talking
>about :)

Yes, I know. ;)

>If you remember we've been through this discussion before when we were
>looking for the search engine for the guide. And these two: nextrieve
>and swish-e were found the best options:

>The main criteria was being able to search for perl code. Well, you
>remember this right? Or we could dig up the thread from a year ago or so.

I remember the discussion we had.  You asked me to get the swish config
file from Randy and IIRC, it was just a standard setup.

With swish, you define at indexing time what makes up a word.  Text is a
lot easier, of course, than code, especially if people use different coding
styles.

We could create a second index that uses white space only to separate
words, which might make searching perl code a bit easier.  It would be
helpful to see what kind of things to search for.

But then if you were looking for $| you could find "$| = 1;" but not "$|++".

Or, perhaps, have a mode that simply uses a perl regular expression and do
a brut force grep search.  Slow, but the site is not that large, especially
if it was limited to just the docs section.

All the reverse indexing engines will parse on indexing, so it will always
be an issue of defining what makes up a word.

Let me ask Avi Rappoport if there's something good for searching code.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org