perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Moseley <mose...@hank.org>
Subject [OT] HTML question - <td> alignment
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:23:58 GMT
Sorry for the OT, but I hope someone can clear something up for me:

Please feel free to respond directly to me.

This is a question about IE6 centering contents of table cells.  I'm hoping
that someone here knows enough HTML to answer.

   http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.3.2.1

describes how a cell's contents should be aligned.

If I use a DTD of 4.xx in IE6 the the table contents are inherited from the
table's enclosing <div align="center">.  That only happens in IE6, and with
that DTD.  Remove the DTD or change it to 3.xx then IE6 doesn't center.

I know the w3 page says "The default alignment for cells depends on the
user agent", but I was wondering if this is just IE6's idea of things, or
does the DTD for 4.xx support that.

In this example the "test text" is centered in IE6.

   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
    <title>
        test