perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Philip Mak <p...@animeglobe.com>
Subject Re: [modperl site design challenge] and the winner is...
Date Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:27:03 GMT
On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> The problem is that when you specify width:400px and you have a big screen
> resolution, you end up with a lot of white space on the right side. If you
> don't specifiy a width, and there is no (or little) content, the content
> area is smaller than on other pages.
>
> See:
> http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/products/index.html
>
> I added a <div style='width:600px'>

This causes a horizontal scrollbar to appear in 800x600 resolution...

I think that about 50% of people have 800x600 screens so that 800x600 is
important; see http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/December/res.php which
is from a web counter service that has aggregate stats from all its
clients and uses JavaScript to detect the screen size.

> Jonathan M. Hollin suggested filling the content area with a lot of &nbsp;
> which undoubtly works, but is IMO not that elegant.

Something like "&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;" etc.? Well, it's invisible, and only
takes up a couple hundred bytes. It'll work, and no one will notice unless
they View Source. For the cost of only a few hundred bytes (more like <10
bytes if you're using mod_deflate/mod_gzip), I think that's a better
solution than forcing a specific width because that's going to
inconvenience the 640x480 (4%) browsers for sure.

I also have another idea: What if you add an <HR>? It blends in fairly
well just above "Welcome to mod_perl", and will automatically force the
box to be full width.