perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Comment from the outside
Date Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:26:23 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:

> At 12:46 AM 01/01/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>>http://hank.org/images/style6.png
>>>http://hank.org/images/style7.png
>>>
>>>Actually, that simply style7.png is kind of nice to look at.
>>>
>>So 7 is "almost" OK, what about 1-5?
>>

> Well, no they are really mostly all the same.  Like I said, Netscape seems
> to get confused -- 7 looks "almost OK", but if I resize it then it looks
> like 6.  They all look about the same, really.  Netscape 4.0x just doesn't
> know how to render it.  For a table layout in Netscape I think you are kind
> of stuck with <table>.

:(

>>I suppose that we can use a conditional require() for the style sheet in
>>the <head> section and serve a different CSS for older NS. That's
>>possible right? (I didn't do html for a long time)
>>

> Oh is the site going to be dynamic?  Different tempaltes for old clients is
> one way to go.

Nope, it's going to be static. You can decide which CSS to fetch at run
time, via require(). I think this has something to do with JS if I'm not
mistaken. So you can check the agent and fetch a proper for this agent
CSS file. I suppose this doesn't contradict with the fact that we don't
want to use JS for usability. This JS should work behind the scenes and
if it's disable or not available the default CSS should be brought in.
I'll leave again to the experts to comment on whether it's going to work.