perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Comment from the outside
Date Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:46:33 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:

> At 12:33 PM 12/31/01 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>There is no need to make group decisions. The mod_perl site should be
>>properly viewable by *all* users using rendering user agents (aka
>>browsers) implemented according to the wide open standards. We aren't a
>>commercial body that decides to cut some users off, because let's say
>>90% is good enough for their profit making machine.
>>

> Actually, I was kind of making the point the commercial sites might not be
> on the cutting edge of the standards so that they don't cut people off,
> where we might be able to expect people looking at the mod_perl site to be
> using newer browsers.

that's actually very opposite in reality. But in theory you are correct.
What if we add the very minimum tables, so it'll look good with browsers
not supporting CSS at all (or having a broken one).

>>Do you say that Thomas' design makes it un-readable for someone? I think
>>in the worst case, if the browser doesn't support CSS, the user will get
>>the menu on the top, followed by the content. Am I wrong?
>>

> Well, it's not really "un-readable", but it doesn't render that well.  I'll
> attach a Netscape 4.08 on Windows screen shot.

But this is a different design, isn't it? We are trying to decide
whether we can go with table-less skeleton from Thomas?
http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/meta.html

Does Thomas' layout look as bad?