perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: prev/next widgets
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:32:37 GMT
Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was just playing around with the prev/up/next and TOC/TOP stuff.
>
> I like Allans idea, but I felt something was wrong, and I think I now know
> what was giving me troubles:
>
> In the Prev/Up/Next thing, Up is written on grey (or blue, can't tell on my
> laptop..), while Prev/Next is written on white.
>
> In the Top-Thing, the same desing (grey box, next to a white box) is used
> for a different meaning (both links go to the TOP), which is very confusing.
>
> My Suggestion:
> in the Prev/Up/Next Widget, drop the UP link. It's not really needed here,
> as the breadcrumb allready provides a link UP.

I disagree to drop the UP link (may be it should be called differently?
"parent"?). This is why:

The breadcrumb is useful for:
- global navigation
- knowing where you are.

A quick go to the parent link is very helpful to be in the vicinity of
its children. You have to scroll up for breadcrumb, what if you are
located at the bottom of a very long page? I think this last reason is
the most important.

> Then use the idea of the TOP
> widget (Grey Box with arrow, then text) for the prev/next widget, maybe even
> splitting it in two parts. You can look at a /very/ crude implementation at
> http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/navbarlocal.html
> Just imagine proper arrow images instead of ASCII art and a box around the
> text instead of the grey background...

So may be we should drop the idea having two items in the same nav
widget contrasting each other? And just have something like:

[ < Prev | UP | Next > ]

We always have 2 or 3 elements so we don't really have to use the
technique used when you have many rows or columns.